Thursday, September 28, 2006

and that's why we still don't know who killed JFK

Last semester I took a Science & Religion course, where we examined, critically of course, the spectrum of Ideologies you could choose to agree with on issues such as "Origin of the Universe and Life", "Did Adam and Eve really existed or is it a pedagogical tool", and "Did Noah and the great flood really exist/happen." The professor would hand out little cards where we anonymously fill out which Ideology or Ideologies we decided to practice & believe. I distinctly remember one class, where I'm sure he thought someone in his class was crazy, because I got frustrated with all these categories and subclasses we had to pigeon-hole ourselves in. Hence in the answer to "Did Adam and Eve really exist/Did Noah and the great flood really happen," I responded with "We still don't even know who killed JFK." [As in I don't think there's a definite yes/no answer for anyone]

Attempting to relate this to Althusser's Ideology and Ideological State Apparatuses, his idea is that an Ideology in a sense "trickles down" to our practiced materializations. In class we were discussing how you could go about breaking down or change an Ideology. Contrary to Althusser, I think that believing in Ideologies we are in a sense pigeon-holing ourselves. Pigeon-holing thus reinforcing Hook's, Post-Modern Blackness, idea that we are living in and with conflicting ideologies because we only allow ourselves in these limited holes. Why is it that we are set on choosing a set number of Ideologies on a spectrum to follow? - I think we have the power to stop and not buy into another Ideology. Existentialism as presented in I Heart Huckabees, brings a different perspective to the building and breaking of Ideologies. I think that you can change an Ideology from the bottom up and not 'buy into' another one because an individual can be in control of the end result. (ie) Person X loves stapling things (an Ideology) all the time (its practice), however Person X has the power to change that; stop pigeon-holing themselves in the Ideology of stapling all the time. There was passing mention of existentialism on Althusser, p91.

------
I also wanted to talk about reappropriation (when Dr. Tapley asked would some reappropriations be different if men did it: made me think of the book Cunt by Inga Musico, would it be different if a man attempted to reappropriate it?) - however there is just not enough room. So please check out the following links into what I think are artists who question what you think reappropriation is. (ie) 50 cent versus Kanye West or 50 cent versus The Raging Grannies
M.I.A
The Raging Grannies (Edmonton Chapter) - relates kind of to Femmisteppin'
Martha Wainwright (especially check out her lyrics for Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole)

No comments: