Whilst sitting in Physics class on Friday at 9:00 in the morning having a french man speak to me about force, mass and acceleration. I turned to my friend Adrian and said, "Have you seen Arrested Development's Mr.F episode?" He in turn replied with, "No, I haven't. " I quickly stated with a sense of urgency, "Well, you HAVE TO watch it because it would just make this class all the more hilarious and enjoyable (by that I really meant less painful)."
In trying to understand the topics and articles from last lecture I will try and relate things, please correct me if I am wrong. . . forgive me if this paragraph is dense:
In that moment I created my own subjectivity as argued by MiMi White in Ideological Analysis and Television to be an entity that is always changing. I was affected by a television show in what I think is humorous because intertextual references (ie) critical reviews, season DVD covers tell me what is funny. Arrested Development, a white upper-middle class family is funny and as a docile body in false consciousness, referred to by Adorno and Horkheimer in, The Culture Industry, I don't question if this humor is aligned with my values or, if I've seen the exact same white upper-middle class family 500+ times before. I have become a vessel perpetuating hegemonic discourse presented on television (in attempts to have fun in physics - you cannot blame me). However as a result of constant change in discourse Arrested Development is sadly no longer aired on television because new discourses, with the same "stories" have taken its place in hegemony.
Rufus Miles states where you stand depends on where you sit, which I think directly correlates to White's idea of an evolutionary relationship between competing discourses. However I still do believe that Arrested Development is excessively humorous and maybe in my abyss of false consciousness Physics will become more enjoyable and hilarious.
Saturday, September 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment