This blog will encourage dialogue between my WST320 peers and myself. I envision posts with personal responses to the readings and class lecture topics with critiques of the arguments. What I am most excited about is the further questioning that might not have been addressed in class or the literature at all.(ie) Contrary to
My male friends and I surf the WWW and always send each other interesting articles, generative literature and websites regarding feminism & anti-feminism. - why is that?
The purpose of this course, Popular Culture/Feminist Culture, is to critically examine AND practice widely accepted (in
In attempts to identify with
http://www.dooce.com
Slightly generative, however I do not considerate it a participatory piece because she does moderate the comments which I think could hinder network building and agency which
http://feministtoronto.blogspot.com/
Very generative - I think this is what our blogs are trying to achieve in this class. Unlike passive students who are just deposits for information we are forming our own 'community'
http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_mallick/
Not a participatory piece of literature at all (although you CAN email CBC about how you feel it is not as direct or responsive as the link above), however it strongly follows along with Rhodes argument regarding agency.
3 comments:
Hi, there. Just your prof. messing up your weekend. Okay, so I need a downloaded picture on your blog for full credit. Yeppers. I'll check again on Tuesday. No worries. HT
No matter how ambiguous, intentionally or unintentionally, our blogs are structured; I agree that the social constructs of classroom discourse will flow into them. As is mentioned by LeCourt and Barnes in Rhodes’ article, “the type of voice, authority and logic” associated with the subject in online texts is problematic. LeCourt and Barnes assert that social context has a huge impact on creating a stable subject in any text, and I think their idea applies to our blog assignment as well. For example, while I feel I have a good amount of agency in the blog I produce, I must be critically aware that I am acting within social boundaries that will inevitably affect my blog.
BUT ALL IS NOT LOST. For what we bloggers will lose in ambiguity, we can gain in subverting the mainstream. Interruption, Rhodes points out, makes people take note of who we are and what we are talking about. Much more than just one gender-queer’s take on feminist pop culture, my blog will radically challenge the social boundaries that help shape it!
That would be awesome!
I think it's a great idea, considering the amount of concepts that are being thrown our way.
We can have as many blog accounts as we like on this site. If you are interested, we could each begin another one (and pass it on to the others).
Sorry if this is cluttering up your blog, go ahead and delete it if you feel more comfortable.
But keep me posted!
See you Thurs.
Post a Comment